Rank List

Here is where admin and staff can post updates to appear on the front page. You can still comment.

Rank List

Postby Zcon on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:09:21 +0000

Viewing rank will be unavailable until further notice.

cheers
Zcon
Admin

CW Profile

Re: Rank List

Postby {DD}Illminded1 on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:03:23 +0000

hmm guess that pretty much makes lvling and training pretty pointless until its fixed
{DD}Illminded1
Donator

CW Profile

Postby [7s]GolD on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:12:35 +0000

{DD}Illminded1 wrote:hmm guess that pretty much makes lvling and training pretty pointless until its fixed

I don't think this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

This is an attempt to change the game a little, right now everyone knows who they can take out or not and that makes hacking a little boring.
I think that hiding player's ranks could add something to this game.

And I don't see how that makes leveling and training pointless...
[7s]GolD
Donator

CW Profile

Postby {DD}Illminded1 on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:20:42 +0000

a mass majority of us that actually have stuck around with this game over the past years used the rankings as an incentive to keep training and for goals especially when someone we competed with was ahead of us in rank all this has done is taken one more element and reason to actually play out of the game
{DD}Illminded1
Donator

CW Profile

Postby [7s]GolD on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:25:19 +0000

You can still see your rank in your Stats Log, but the change is that you won't be able to know who you passed or who passed you unless you actually try to hack them.

Which is the whole point in this update.
[7s]GolD
Donator

CW Profile

Postby PaPPy on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:29:05 +0000

how is removing key stats in the game a good update for CW?
PaPPy

CW Profile

Postby theoneandonlyCire on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:20:05 +0000

I like the update, as I've said before. I think it does add a mystery element that'll make the people who stick around feel a bit uneasy, which is how a war game should feel. I also think it'll help keep new players coming back. When they realize they got 60 gamescore by using all their energy when they first start, then seeing rank #1, the person they're supposed to catch up to, has over 300,000 gamescore, it's a HUGE disencouragement, and so they're likely to quit. Now, instead, they'll get that 60 gamescore, then sign on again later and see that their rank just jumped a few. Rank going up = happy newbie = more likely to stick around.

The only problem I see with it, which others have mentioned, is that it was a big part of the competitive feeling here; it's a bit impersonal to not know who you're beating, and the point if winning is to know who you're beating, right? That's why this has the problems it does. So, what needs to be done is to have a bit of that competitive feeling restored to those who miss it so dearly, and for new players to experience for their first time. This can be done in a few ways, and I'll listen them, but they aren't all my ideas, they were said in chat by anonymous people whose names I can't remember.

1) Sell the ability to peek at a person's score. Let's say it'll cost websites, since websites have always been lacking value, right? So, I'm rank 100, and I pay X amount of websites to see rank 99's score. Now I know how much I need to train to get to rank 99. You could also check an ID or player's name. I think I like this idea the best. This could be restricted to a certain amount of ranks above/below you, if anybody feels this needs some restriction. Or a level/rank minimum to use it.
2)Allow players to see a certain number of ranks/scores above/below them, with no cost. This is the easiest solution, but it's minor, and undoes a bit of what the update was meant to do.
3)Allow the top 100 players to see the top 100 players' scores (or top 50 see the top 50's scores, to keep it a bit more exclusive). This way, new players aren't frightened off, but there's still competition for the players who are active (since if you're in the top 100, you're probably active). This would also be undoing what the update was meant to do (make you feel uneasy and be wary), but it would satisfy those that are complaining a lot, and help keep the new players that randomly arrive.
These are just ideas that could help this situation if it turns out to be a bad update. But it's only the first day. Don't knock it till you try it. Just because it feels bad right now, doesn't mean the entire game is ruined for life. I think some of y'all just need to calm down a bit and relax. Instead of complaining, suggest ideas to improve it calmly; it gets you further. Let me know what you think, which idea you like best, etc.
Cire
theoneandonlyCire

CW Profile

Postby Myckaal on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:28:06 +0000

So ...

No one will know what their rank is until daily reset
No one will actually know how close they are to making the next rank

I don't see how this helps new players or old. It simply makes it more difficult to actually know where you stand in the competition. This has effectively removed the one thing that kept the game competitive. Rank and gamescore. Now, we're all clueless and blind. Someone explain how this actually helps.

I've adapted to work with pretty much every update so far, but this one is just stupid. I know there are quite a few people who are taking the "well, maybe it'll help" mentality, though I can't quite figure out why. All the possible outcomes that I've heard so far do not advance the game. In fact, they seem to take the game back a step.

Adapt and advance has always been my path. And I will continue to do so. But this update does not benefit anyone and it doesn't help the game. So, I am not in support of this update. I think it will do a lot more harm than good. But, I guess we'll all see how it works out. Hopefully it's not just another step toward game reset again.
All reality is subjective
Myckaal
Donator

CW Profile

Postby theoneandonlyCire on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:05:02 +0000

[OSX] Mr Ecks wrote: So ...
I don't see how this helps new players or old. It simply makes it more difficult to actually know where you stand in the competition. This has effectively removed the one thing that kept the game competitive. Rank and gamescore. Now, we're all clueless and blind. Someone explain how this actually helps.

Cire wrote: it does add a mystery element that'll make the people who stick around feel a bit uneasy, which is how a war game should feel. I also think it'll help keep new players coming back. When they realize they got 60 gamescore by using all their energy when they first start, then seeing rank #1, the person they're supposed to catch up to, has over 300,000 gamescore, it's a HUGE disencouragement, and so they're likely to quit. Now, instead, they'll get that 60 gamescore, then sign on again later and see that their rank just jumped a few. Rank going up = happy newbie = more likely to stick around.

Well, I've explained it to you twice now, and you're still asking someone to explain it to you. Am I not using the secret text that your eyes need to read, or am I just not explaining it right/clearly enough?
theoneandonlyCire

CW Profile

Postby [1]MCK on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:36:48 +0000

I can see the benefit of not scaring the newbs off, but they do need to see some ranks to help them advance quickly. When they first join they will lose a lot of energy for hacking people that they can't kill. The energy would put the at a disadvantage.

I also like Cire idea of having ways of buying to see people's ranks. This might help with the growing EC prices as people will have other things to spend their money on instead of just ECs.
[1]MCK
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Diseased Violence on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:15:11 +0000

Zcon, whats really the point of this?

I use the "Hack by rank" daily and hacking is really the only thing keeping me here....

There should really be updateS that matter soon or I guess it's not only me leaving this game.
Diseased Violence
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Zcon on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:05:18 +0000

be patient guys. idea of removing rank and game score is clearly explained by cire. and yep I will bringing up rank spy ability to see other s rank.

for top player rank and game score is the most important thing. you will alway know where you are as you can see your rank from stats log.

for all the top players the only challenged I have seen in this game is hacking some one and getting the top rank. and it will still be the same. AS top 10 player s are visible and it will be more promptly visible in city in future.

You need a new challenge now you have to try and work out how far is the guy behind me. this way you have to train until you come up to the top 10 to feel bit good then you can relax.

well like cire said I can make it top 20 which will be visible only for certain rank and up.

cheers

-- Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:19:27 +0000 --

Ok in second thoughts I will bring top 100 and hacking by rank back. but not the game score. and you will not be able to view either.

Since I understand there's nothing much else for the top players to do here I will let rank to be visible,until more challenges introduced to top players
Zcon
Admin

CW Profile

Postby Diseased Violence on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:33:32 +0000

I understand your point but this "update" is pure bullshit. How is this supposed to help getting CW new players? How is this supposed to get semi-inactive interested in the game again? How is this making CW interesting to anyone? Did anyone ask to get the ranks removed? "need a new challenge" my ass, this game needs more/new players..don't remove stuff... Only positive I see in your "updates" is that the "owners" are trying to make more $.... "Donate for Energy Charges: $20.00 gets you 100 energy charges" - Guessing this is becoming a donators game.
Diseased Violence
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Myckaal on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:23:36 +0000

Remove gamescore. I can see the appeal in that. But yes, put the ranks back. The whole point of the game is rank. Remove it and you eliminate the point in anyone who's already maxed IQ (hint there) even logging in.
All reality is subjective
Myckaal
Donator

CW Profile

Postby FelixFaust on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 02:22:46 +0000

I like Dan Verton, use the 'Hack by Rank' to find my 'victims'. But now, it is harder to find victims.
So one has to ask, 'Why bother?'
And by the way, this change screws up the Hacking window in IE8.
FelixFaust

CW Profile

Next

Return to News and Updates