What do you believe would bring back Users?

This forum is for user generated news, for the people by the people!

What do you believe would bring back Users?

Postby Puppet Master on Fri, 14 Jun 2019 23:35:47 +0000

What is something you think should be done to bring back users to the game?
To get people to play more often?
To get more involved in the game?

What are your opinions?

Lower EC prices, new player protection from kills, larger lottery payouts, incentives???? etc..
?

Ill make a poll that we can all vote on.
Silence Is Golden, But Duct Tape Is Silver
Puppet Master
Global Mod

CW Profile

Re: What do you believe would bring back Users?

Postby [EVO]DrOwl. on Thu, 10 Oct 2019 13:26:27 +0000

A Mobile friendly site might help i.e. a move to modern html / css standards like using Grids for layout instead of tables.

this would allow you to create a simple webview app for Apple / Android as every one wants an "app for that"
[EVO]DrOwl.
Donator

CW Profile

Postby c1res on Thu, 27 Aug 2020 12:46:49 +0000

I believe that the "core" of the game is, on it's own, perfect.
There are a few browser-RPGs like CW that are up and running for some time, and I'll gather a few things that they do that, in my opinion, may help.

Advertise on free channels - Facebook, Reddit, 4Chan and sites alike (maybe even an Instagram with stories about winning teams and such)

A "pool of donations" that benefits everyone when it hits it's mark.
For example, say that the cost of maitenance is $100. Show a bar on the homepage that displays how much of that $100 dollars has been donated per month and, when it hits 100% or more, all active players gain some buffs (not the donator buffs, and yes some minor buffs).

As mentioned before, having an App or a cellphone-friendly website would help.

Maybe add a few more admins of mods? It could be the older/more active players around, to keep the game going, maintain a live community with the presence of an "officer" around. Looking to the bottom part of the screen and seein "1 mod online" keeps the ideia that the game is still being "taken care", to the players.

I'm no programmer, but I'm willing to help with wathever I can!

P.S.: English is not my first language, so excuse me for any errors or confusing phrasings. I'm around if something needs clarifying!

Regards,
8 years ago, I was rfzcires.
Now, I'm c1res.
c1res
Donator

CW Profile

Postby PelicanBay on Mon, 12 Oct 2020 01:02:02 +0000

Best thing to get and keep players would be fixing everything that's already here, then tweak some of the extras like the daily challenges, give us something to work for but not out of reach like the current busts challenge.
PelicanBay

CW Profile

Postby glitchprone on Thu, 03 Dec 2020 01:55:32 +0000

As someone who has returned after dumping years into this game a long time ago, back when Lynjay owned it, i've done a little thinking on this.

You're not going to bring back old player. First, you wouldn't be able to reach most of them. I am sure some of you have added them as friends over the years on other platforms. Sure I suppose a few could be brought back that way, but they left in very large amounts. It is an unobtainable hope to do so. Second, gaining and retaining new players, I don't know what Andi does these days of if he has any plans to develop/maintain the site, but I can say what I think needs to be done.

Clean up things that are no longer used, have you checked the fan art link in the city lately? Those images don't even exist on the page anymore.
The tutorial? A joke. Needs to be completely revamped and more descriptive.
Marketing? Nonexistent I imagine. I found this game through an advertisement on newgrounds years ago.
Everything broken needs to be fixed, could not repair my computer without joining a gang as the feature is broken otherwise.

The biggest thing is, there are no problems. This is a bare bones version of this style of game. It has a very solid foundation that needs no major changes, sure things could be updated, but that doesn't need to be a primary focus. It needs a little TLC and it clearly will not receive that any time soon, its been 10 years(or so) I imagine its kept open because it pull in as much or just a little more than it costs to host it. It will die, and that'll be sad. I came back for nostalgia reasons, but its clear to me that unless someone actually wants to put in real effort, these are the end days. I don't see that effort being put in.
glitchprone
Donator

CW Profile

Postby zero????7 on Wed, 03 Mar 2021 08:08:14 +0000

snip...
glitchprone wrote:The biggest thing is, there are no problems. This is a bare bones version of this style of game. It has a very solid foundation that needs no major changes, sure things could be updated, but that doesn't need to be a primary focus. It needs a little TLC and it clearly will not receive that any time soon, its been 10 years(or so) I imagine its kept open because it pull in as much or just a little more than it costs to host it. It will die, and that'll be sad. I came back for nostalgia reasons, but its clear to me that unless someone actually wants to put in real effort, these are the end days. I don't see that effort being put in.

This is 15 year old technology. The bright side is, that the entire world-wide-web and even some alternate services are using the LAMP platform still, and going strong. I second the solid foundation bit!!

What i wish to add is a look at the last 10 years of my life as a project. I have been doing more AFK socializing, and realize that everything that any game has, that draws players, (even 15 year old MMORPG types) is the people, and the quality.

When I introduced CW to Mr. The Shrubber, it was perceived as a fun challenge. Not because we tally up numbers, but because of the friends we're doing it with. I got to see several of the youth's tech projects before my very eyes as they streamed through the household. Some of them died, some of them moved to Cali for riches or fame and the only thing i can think of, here, or anywhere i may roam digitally or otherwise, that works; Mentorship was BOomIng here back then.

Looking at my gang board is evidence of that factor. It points out relevant quick start/excelling for newbies. The resources are made available, and placed into awareness. These days, we almost lost everyone to the internet, until it was shoved down their throat like a half baked clam that wasn't properly drained.

I notice that Even the city dwellers long for interaction on a personal level. Yes Creative Progressive Game Design is what keeps/makes/continues/starts going elsewhere. This was different, though. The attraction was something of a dystopia of a bleak 2020, LOL. My still standing best recommendation as to the future fate of the internet is of course Johnny Mnemonic. Despite Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert's techno-illiterate comments of films, with any tech whatsoever, The web is becoming one such as was predicted in that example.

I am building a 3D world currently that will resemble, with much better resolution i might add, the 1986 dystopia outline through CGI with Theora Jones, and her delicate savvy for navigating their 3D, eh. Utility control system at best... maybe like an x11 home control interface.

The 3D web browsers died, but the 3D OS (basically a glorified 3D web browser that integrates plugins as any browser may) are trudging along in development as well, adding tools to more effectively interact, create and unite many random worlds, with likewise people.

IF, (in caps) IF CW should be moving forward, the interface becoming accessible to Phreaks (if any still alive) Old timers that remember what it was like to dial four digit telephone numbers, punch cardboard to make lights blink and that genre, it may appear to change on the surface. There's nothing wrong with change as, technology applied is strictly for that purpose.

I propose we take a double-edged approach. Reach to the oldies and the youth (like the mathlete crowds i witnessed) and also to converge the interface to allow for wider accessibility. (TOR Service might get some out-of-towners drawn in) (SSL and other security measures that resemble hacdom at it's finest) (visit 3D grids, and leave digital game tablets with people, play right from an embedded url "with a referrer") (

But above all, Mentorship. If any be willing to put up with no0bxz, and the drama that ensues sometimes, then there is a chance this could become the next Call of Duty like crazed attraction to seekers, of Human Touch.

That is what people are starting to realize they've been missing, now that getting Off of technology, has begun to become as sought after as Having mobile tech was 15 years ago. There are those of us who are home-bound, with a bit of time, but not the greatest skilled perhaps at complex human factors. I would at least like to press for advancement of this platform, to see who comes. I have met some people here that are still very fond in my memory.

A reunion is definite, but narrow thinking of only that would exclude too many who were like me 15 years ago, typing in URL's to see what Lycos couldn't find. Voila, cyber-wars came up! So, presence is one thing, Hospitality, well, That's Our Only Thing!

Peas
Carrots
Love
Recycle
Code: Select all
zero§7

-- Mon, 15 Mar 2021 23:14:40 +0000 --

The same thing that brought me, and kept me here for so many years back when, was, well, mentor-ing/ship. I had someone to hold my hand, and my other hand reached to the next one inbound.

"To teach is to finally know. For when our eyes are opened to anothers perspective, they can finally see what they have been missing."

Jquery would probably be a good re-design step; moving forward. This should allow for ease of transitions to new and different interfacing AND my personal favorite, Accessibility. More potential is out there. We can find coders who love the crew, if we make it a point to be lovable! I had many difficulties throughout my group associations. One currently i have found to be allowed to be a part of, and not excluded or bullied excessively to the point of disaster has taught me these points. A. I must fight for a place in any culture. 2. It might be good to have a difficult entry procedure for any "clubhouse" in all aspects of life to prevent Sadam's and Hitler's and Rasputin's from entering and/or becoming misguided by infiltrators along the way.

The thing fell apart i feel from what the general consensus i gathered, being inimaginitivity. It usually helps to consider all points of view, if any particular one must remain within or without a certain sect of humanity. There for instance should be anti-bullying policies here, and many places for that matter. "Bars on the windows" no sneaking or peeking closely at the contents until becoming a contributing factor would help make achievements more worthwhile than simply a stat to brag of. Payment info on file is a good deterrent for riff-raff, so great limitations may be removed even permanently at first instance of donation, perhaps. At 5 bux, who's gonna complain? i have paid hundreds for other communities and basically wound up at the same place i would have not donating money as much as time, which seem to oppose capacity in my life often.

Having a clear and concise policy of topic adherence was also an issue with certain broken personalities; not to place fault, only to understand segmentation faults, rather. Keeping things separated has been a lifelong obsession of mine, finding i may be on the spectrum only explains that, but does not make it go away. I still live with my faults whether i realize them, or not. For instance, an ingrained denial i was learnt by a very early age, was just uncovered 30 years later to me. I had realized it was there before, but didn't have the words to describe it; and even then it was off limits to explore, a mental block prevented much from occurring in my recovery.

There are many great resources for dealing with flaws and shortcomings of people, which is ultimately the goal of having a landing point for each persons web browser in common. We will experience these; it pays to be ready. In dollars, in non-extinguished lives. It would have helped many i know not to wind up on precarious and ultimately fatal situations, to have the proper place to direct people that perhaps don't have the clues handed to them, but that our peers are able to spot dead-on!

I don't' know about blue-zones much, or any other "programs" really, but not really what i am referring to in this respect either. I am only trying to convey personal responsibility for ones behavior. Perhaps a training section for life could be added, a life skills education if you will... if none exist readily, i would be happy to head up the contributed effort to offer to our once again growing community here. We don't wish to offend, however, we are more responsible for choosing whether or not to become offended each ourselves.

Fakesbook.net is a project i dream't of to this effect, and after three years in conception, have finally published it's first article. It may be food for thought, or a launchpad for a revolution, intently. In any case, some required reading might be in order, so long as it does not interfere with game-play, but also be accessible to every need. I am not trying to open up a psychology center in Neo, but rather a proper framework for dealing with all kinds we shall inevitably come across.

I have devoted 22 years to this specific field alone, so i have a bit of real world experience in light of much in the way of this. I feel it was responsible for much in the way of groups falling apart. Words are important, though i do not follow most of what i read of others, i more effectively read their actions, or the accounts of such should they not be present. Few role models have surfaced, and the need was clear.

I would extend an offer, to all who are able, as i am not currently in contact with much of the younger generation; any who are able to influence a young life, the mathematics of this game can be an exciting draw, yet the social dynamic found here also would be the retainer. At a once bustling wi2600.org meeting (see the wayback machine for more) one night, it seems to be that there were those younger with an inability to express with words what was in their hearts, and souls. The fear of annihilation at any moment which i grew up with made life super-real, before i was equipped to deal with it. These kids instead of programming the old commodore and apple computers we had for show-and-tell a few meetings, was spread across the denny's parking lot, driven over by a customer, who's tire was pissing out air audibly as she went up the freeway ramp. I believe i saw her later on my way home, stranded at the side of the busy interchange, with two flat tires on that side. This was Anarchy at it's finest. The rules that make up the matrices of our favored technologies are quite incompatible with discordian theory. That all relates to the social aspects here, or any place.

There is plenty of directions we may be able to take this platform, but keeping in mind, it is only just that. A platform.

What shall we do with it?

Puppet Master wrote:What is something you think should be done to bring back users to the game?

What are your opinions?

Lower EC prices, new player protection from kills, larger lottery payouts, incentives???? etc..
?

Ill make a poll that we can all vote on.

-- Thu, 18 Mar 2021 18:29:48 +0000 --

Puppet Master wrote:What is something you think should be done to bring back users to the game?

PM Only Chat Channel.
Maybe a chat overhaul, but for the most part, it is uniquely stable the way it is. WOuld be nice to have a channel for "Only My Messages" like,
blocking "non-pm <uid> messages" and allowing the main chan's to be free'd up for their specific topical frameworks.
zero????7
Donator

CW Profile

Postby PelicanBay on Wed, 12 Jan 2022 07:13:24 +0000

Simple, more activity bonuses, in small achievable amounts for the occasional player, the psychos like me will play no matter what, but give the many players who just kinda fly by a little reward and I'm sure activity will pick up. Not much at first but there are ways to increase it once we make it more interesting for us old folks who still play these kind of games.....
PelicanBay

CW Profile

Return to Unofficial CW News