Screwing with the average price

Talk about anything you want here.

Screwing with the average price

Postby Blanz on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:29:44 +0000

i've seen this a lot recently, and its really starting to piss me off, because its ruining the market. People are posting incredibly low prices on things, which drastically reduce the average price. For example, i was selling ecs at almost 83k about 12 hours ago, paying a 1.5% tax... about 3 hours from then i go to sell some more, and i see that the tax has suddenly jumped to 18%. am i supposed to believe that the average price went from 80k to 63k over the course of 3 hours? give me a break, that's blatant sabotage.

so I suggest that if you want to calculate a FAIR average price, that you also charge for selling BELOW the average price. This would ensure that people cannot screw with the average price for ecs (like what has already been done with websites, so that pretty much no one sells anymore, and ddays, so that they are selling at 2/3 the price of ecs)

while ignorant people will say "but the prices are down, so its good," i hope they have a fun time finding some ecs on the market, because i havent seen any being sold for the last 3 hours. (the average price has not changed) Reduced price reduces the supply, unless more ecs are introduced into the game, which i recommend. But at an average price of 63k, the number of sellers has reduced (i know ive stopped) and the demand has stayed the same, which increases the "real" price, even though the price we're allowed to sell at has stayed the same/reduced. So now im seeing people in chat begging for ecs. someone offered me 150k for one. (even though that would mean a 100k tax. ridiculous)

So in order to prevent people from fucking with the average price, which destroys the market, please introduce a measure to prevent people from selling too low to destroy the market. i suggest the same tax that prevents people from selling "too high" (even though there is really no such thing as "too high" in this game, but this topic is not about that) be applied to selling too low. That will allow the average price to be a true "average price", so its fair for all and yadda yadda yadda.

Disclaimer (or whatever): I'm writing this late at night, so excuse me for any grammar/spelling errors or run-on sentences. Also, if you disagree with me on the economic fundamentals of what i wrote, you're wrong.
Blanz

CW Profile

Re: Screwing with the average price

Postby Void is a BIG FAGGOT on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:34:30 +0000

Deal with it, greedy bastard.

ALSO, ECs are inflated, they were bound to drop again.
Void is a BIG FAGGOT

CW Profile

Postby Blanz on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:36:37 +0000

|OSX| Junny wrote:Deal with it, greedy bastard.

people WANT to buy them at higher prices, (but cant because of market restrictions) so they arent inflated
Blanz

CW Profile

Postby Void is a BIG FAGGOT on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:39:35 +0000

If you haven't realized, They are saying they will buy for high prices, knowing that you wont pay listing fees as a result selling it to them at their original desired price

IT IS ALL A SCAM USING PSYCHOLOGY.
Void is a BIG FAGGOT

CW Profile

Postby Player Unknown on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:10:04 +0000

ok noone wants to buy at a higher price, the fact is none of you greedy people want to sell for so low. don't be used to the old CW you're not gonna get a ton for your resources.
Player Unknown
Admin

CW Profile

Postby Sha{DD}ow on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:32:23 +0000

Scrap the damn market all together! There are always ways to **** it up....Isn't there?!?!
Sha{DD}ow
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Phildo on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:50:33 +0000

The free market worked just fine.
Phildo

CW Profile

Postby [1]MCK on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:42:13 +0000

What done we just put a max on the price that people are going to sell at. 100k for ECs, 250k for ddays and 500 for webs.
[1]MCK
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Rusty on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:11:32 +0000

Phildo wrote:The free market worked just fine.

No it really didn't.
MCKiller wrote:What done we just put a max on the price that people are going to sell at. 100k for ECs, 250k for ddays and 500 for webs.

Tried. The single worse update in CW history, as people just stopped selling (as they are doing now, but that was permanent).
|OSX| Junny wrote:Deal with it, greedy bastard.

First I lol'd. But then I read his next comment, and he's also right ;) There are 20k CDs to every 1EC (so are being sold at about 3 times that), while in last CW there were quite a few more times that, like 100k per EC, yet were being sold at 10-50 times that. EC prices were inflated before and have now deflated to better values, and as junny says, deal with it ;)

Now, let's address the main issue:
Blanz wrote:i've seen this a lot recently, and its really starting to piss me off, because its ruining the market. People are posting incredibly low prices on things, which drastically reduce the average price. For example, i was selling ecs at almost 83k about 12 hours ago, paying a 1.5% tax... about 3 hours from then i go to sell some more, and i see that the tax has suddenly jumped to 18%. am i supposed to believe that the average price went from 80k to 63k over the course of 3 hours? give me a break, that's blatant sabotage.

Just to repeat some points i've mentioned before:
1. Aoen has mentioned that he will bring in a 50% minimum price to stop this sort of thing happening.
2. Aoen has said that when NCW is older than a few weeks he will make it so that the average is based on the last weeks prices rather than the last two days, which will stabilise it.
3. NCW is still new and these are still exceptional times. Come back in a month when it has settled in and if its still messed up, complain then ;)

Blanz wrote:so I suggest that if you want to calculate a FAIR average price, that you also charge for selling BELOW the average price. This would ensure that people cannot screw with the average price for ecs (like what has already been done with websites, so that pretty much no one sells anymore, and ddays, so that they are selling at 2/3 the price of ecs)

This is a bad idea. It will create a situation where there is ONLY inflation and no chance of deflation, as who would sell for lower than the average if it meant that they were taxed on it?
Also, note your relativity. You are saying that ECs are normal while webs and DDs are deflated. Ever considered changing your frame of reference and thinking that ECs are inflated while the other two are normal? (sorry if I'm using big words or confusing ideas, I have a physicist's mind and that's how I see it :P)

Blanz wrote:while ignorant people will say "but the prices are down, so its good," i hope they have a fun time finding some ecs on the market, because i havent seen any being sold for the last 3 hours. (the average price has not changed) Reduced price reduces the supply, unless more ecs are introduced into the game, which i recommend. But at an average price of 63k, the number of sellers has reduced (i know ive stopped) and the demand has stayed the same, which increases the "real" price, even though the price we're allowed to sell at has stayed the same/reduced. So now im seeing people in chat begging for ecs. someone offered me 150k for one. (even though that would mean a 100k tax. ridiculous)

Although this is a risk of a capped market (and as you know I agree with increasing the supply of ECs) this looks like a good situation to be capitalising on a low market ;)
You can either profiteer by selling ECs at 1.5 the average (the maximum price you can sell for) or be altruistic and lead for the sake of EC salesmen and sell your ECs at many times the amounts to drive up the average price. If you are correct, people will buy your overpriced ECs and the market average will correct itself, thus making you a hero amongst sellers ;)

Blanz wrote:So in order to prevent people from fucking with the average price, which destroys the market, please introduce a measure to prevent people from selling too low to destroy the market. i suggest the same tax that prevents people from selling "too high" (even though there is really no such thing as "too high" in this game, but this topic is not about that) be applied to selling too low. That will allow the average price to be a true "average price", so its fair for all and yadda yadda yadda.

Already commented on this

Blanz wrote:Disclaimer (or whatever): I'm writing this late at night, so excuse me for any grammar/spelling errors or run-on sentences. Also, if you disagree with me on the economic fundamentals of what i wrote, you're wrong.

This post gains Rusty the Grammar Nazi's Seal of Approval :P

And in the end, if you don't like it I suggest you take up Shaddow's advice, and just don't use the damn market XD
Annoyed that I locked your thread? Have I unfairly deleted your post? If you are sure that you didn't just forget to push the submit button, please see my rules to check you didn't break any of them! If you are still unhappy, please mail me (I like mail :)).
If your reading this, you have a good attention to detail. We need people like you to help us out on the CW wiki. Apply for the roll by mailing me.

Seen a really good suggestion? Mark it as a Top Suggestion!
Rusty

CW Profile

Postby 0002191148. on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:18:50 +0000

rusty made me lulz with that, im just amazed i read it all

feix tis yo greemer nasi bich baed greemer fro leef :P

Grammar Nazi Rusty corrects: Feix tis, yo greemer Nasi bich. Baed greemer fro leef! :P
Grammar Nazi Rusty also points out that he is a Grammar Nazi, not a Spelling Nazi XD
Donator

CW Profile

Postby [7S]Mojo on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:43:50 +0000

Heres where my vote stands...
[7S]Mojo
Donator

CW Profile

Postby Rusty on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:51:26 +0000

Mojo wrote:

Apart from the whole needing to reset the game bit...
Annoyed that I locked your thread? Have I unfairly deleted your post? If you are sure that you didn't just forget to push the submit button, please see my rules to check you didn't break any of them! If you are still unhappy, please mail me (I like mail :)).
If your reading this, you have a good attention to detail. We need people like you to help us out on the CW wiki. Apply for the roll by mailing me.

Rusty

CW Profile

Postby Blanz on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:37:59 +0000

Rusty wrote:
Mojo wrote:

which was because of the lack of ecs in the game - the free market simply reflected this fact
Blanz

CW Profile

Postby Rusty on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 01:46:50 +0000

Blanz wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Mojo wrote:

which was because of the lack of ecs in the game - the free market simply reflected this fact

Here's where my vote stands :P

Rusty

CW Profile

Postby [OSX] Snags Almighty on Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:51:10 +0000

I mentioned this yesterday and some people seemed to think it was a good idea, so I guess I'll "officially" toss it out into the waters.

The reason ecs are so in demand and people are buying them at high prices is because of gangs. They need 500 of them. I know there are at least 4 or 5 gangs hoarding. Webs have crashed because of Spar getting his cap scouts and selling for cheap so they're "always affordable".

So... make it 100,000 websites and 50 ecs to make a gang. Or, since 100k webs would be incredibly harsh and the 50 ecs way too easy, 50,000 websites and 100 ecs. I mean, most people at the end of a week probably don't even have 2000 webs. Even with cap scouts - which are very, very expensive - it'd take a while to amass that much, besides buying them - which'd bring the prices up. Then, when there ARE more ecs in the game, change it back.

However, that being said, you guys would just bitch about it all anyway. "BAW the ec market started out as more expensive than people could handle without using their entire savings and now it's gone down, however am I supposed to be a rich git?" Also see: "BAW the web market is too low and is affordable, but that means I'm getting less of a profit!"

You know, I really don't get you people. You complained everything was too expensive, now it's too cheap and you refuse to sell despite the fact that 60k CDs is still an impressive chunk of people's savings. Man. Less "bitch bitch bitch baw I wont sell", more "oh hey I have a reasonable, valid idea which may help the game in the long run". Kay? Kay.
If Jesus had Twitter: Just got nailed in Jerusalem, LOL.

[OSX] Snags Almighty
Donator

CW Profile

Next

Return to General Chat